How can you survive the dazing effects of a car accident?

On Behalf of | Dec 13, 2017 | Serious Personal Injury

FindLaw offers tips for drivers involved in accidents on Hawaii’s highways. In the aftermath of a collision, motorists often find themselves dazed and disoriented. If this happens to you, having a plan of action will guide your next steps.

Whether or not you have serious injuries, plan not to leave the scene until the police have arrived and completed an initial report. Be sure to call 911 if no one else has, and if you can get out of your car, check to see that others can, too. Should you or anyone else be unable to exit a vehicle or unable to communicate and in extreme pain, wait until paramedics get to the scene to offer assistance.

When you find yourself fortunate enough to walk away from a serious accident, additional steps are advisable. FindLaw suggests taking pictures of your vehicle as soon as possible following the crash. This may include photographing all the involved automobiles where the incident happened, taking shots at the salvage yard where the towtruck delivers the damaged cars, or perhaps doing both. Photos help insurance companies make decisions about repairing or replacing vehicles. They also help adjustors determine the cost of those repairs or replacements. 

Finally, seek medical treatment. The human fight-or-flight reaction is natural during a collision and sends adrenaline pulsing through those involved. As a result, you may or may not notice any pain when you climb out of the wreckage. It is still a good idea to seek medical treatment. When the adrenaline wears off, you may begin to feel stiff and sore. If you do have injuries, they may reveal themselves later that same day or even several days afterwards. Seeking treatment immediately can address problems before they become unmanageable. Be sure to keep accurate records of all medical bills, and document how the injuries have impacted your ability to function in day-to-day activities.

This information solely aims to educate regarding car accidents and does not intend to provide legal advice.